VTL’s legendary Signature series has long been valued by music lovers who seek outstanding sound at a fair price. The new S-200 takes that proposition to a new level by including VTL’s latest technology in a space saving single chassis design. All the features and functionality of the renowned MB-450 and MB-185 Series III Signature monoblocks are built in, but in a package costing significantly less. With top quality parts, a fully balanced design, and innovative engineering, the S200 offers a listening experience unparalleled at this price.
This 200 watts/channel stereo amplifier is packed with technology VTL has spent years developing. A fully balanced differential input stage drives a differential phase splitter and a lower impedance push-pull output stage with a custom made, fully balanced, interleaved and coupled output transformer. Like its stable mates, the amplifier incorporates VTL’s SmartTube technology with automatic bias adjustment and fault sensing, making this amplifier especially welcome to music lovers who value ease of use. With the S-200, there’s no need to guess when or if a tube may need to be replaced.
To keep the output tube operating point constant and stabilize the critical power supplies, even under AC and main power supply fluctuations, the S-200 deploys adjustable precision-regulated bias and screen supplies, yielding tonal stability and sonic integrity especially during complex, dynamic signal conditions.
The S-200 also features a user adjustable Damping Factor feedback control that allows the user to adjust the amplifier’s output impedance by varying the amount of negative feedback. Impedance can now be precisely set to suit the listener’s taste, and to improve control of the loudspeaker loads to deliver best performance.
Specifications and Features:
- Vacuum Tube Complement: 8 x 6550 or KT-88, 2 x 12AT7, 2 x 12BH7
- Output Power:
- Tetrode = 200 watts
- Triode = 100 Watts
- 20Hz ‐ 20kHz <2.5% THD: Into 5 ohms
- Input Sensitivity: Variable between 700mV and 1.6V, depending upon DF setting
- Input Impedance: 45K Ohms
- Load setting: 5 ohms
- Optimum Load Range: 4 - 8 ohms
- S/N Ratio: -110dB, 120 Hz
- Power Consumption:
- Idle = 330 W
- Full Power = 1000 W
- Primary mains fuse rating: 100/120V = 15A Ceramic Slo Blo, 220/240V = 8A Ceramic Slo Blo
- Logic fuse: 100/120V = 1A Ceramic Slo Blo, 220/240V = 1A Ceramic Slo Blo
- Input fuse: 100/120V = 1A Ceramic Slo Blo, 220/240V = 1A Ceramic Slo Blo
- B+ fuse rating: Plate Fuse – 1.0A fast acting 600V
- Dimensions W x D x H: 18.5 x 18 x 9 inches (47 x 45.7 x 23 cm)
- Weight: 105lbs (47.6Kg) unpacked, 120lbs (54Kg) packed